Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Hello! Who's there?

So, this morning I was being lazy, lolling on the couch, and I heard one of the hens give a loud, indignant squawk. Looked up, and guess who came calling?

Look who flew in for a visit with my chickens
 I think this Cooper's Hawk was flabbergasted by the size of the 'sparrows' walking around in my yard. And they all wore little funny looking red hat thingamabobs too. I call little red chicken head gear, 'combs'. 

Dang... those are the BIGGEST, funniest looking sparrow's I've ever seen.
Hum... maybe I won't mess with these. Too much mayhem potential.
Now I see Cooper's Hawks fly by regularly, but only once 3 times I have had them land close to my yard, in neighbor's trees. This is the first time I've seen one right smack dab in my yard, and eyeing my pets no less!  Happily, the hens are large enough to put off even a young inexperienced Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk. Now, if a Red-tail or Red-shouldered Hawk had a mind to catch a chicken breakfast, well I think then I'd be short to the tune of one little hen. 

This Coopers sat still long enough for me to grab my good camera, and shoot this through the living room window. Then, while I was still gawking like a kiddie at the circus, it took off, no doubt for an easier meal elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment