Did you miss...?

Hula Returns to Sequim

Honored Elder & Dance Teacher, Mokihana Melendez on the right OMG! So excited that like last year, a Hawaiian group graced Sequim with i...

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Housekeeping the Life List

No one is going to care about this post but me, so here we go! My American Birding Association (ABA) Life List, that is, all the birds I've seen in Canada & the mainland U.S.A., which was at 609 a month ago. I keep my list in Birder's Life List & Diary, a Cornell University publication. It's now out of print. Anywhoo, I've happily pencil listed bird after bird in the Diary for ages. I gave the list a good look a month ago, and realized I double entered a couple of birds. I put the list on an Excel file  and happily there are no other double dipped birdies. Whew! End result: my ABA life list is actually 606, not 609. Is that math right? Uh... give me a sec...

While I was list cleaning, I decided to honor the fussy Virgo in me; I removed two 'heard only' birds from my list. Mind, while it's perfectly acceptable to put 'hear only' birds on a life list, I've not been comfortable with the concept. So, despite the fact those are a pair of perfectly countable birds, I'm holding off on counting them until I have the joy of seeing and hopefully photographing the little buggers. So, gone from my life list is a Black-billed Cuckoo (MI) and a Mexican Whippoorwill (CA). 


My new ABA Life List total count is *heavy, despondent sigh*, 606. I get an extra tic because the Sage Sparrow was recently split into two species - the Bell's and Sagebrush Sparrows- and I've seen both. Might have to look at the math again, I'm kind of slow.

Pardon me. I have to go hug my binoculars and weep onto my Sibleys for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment